As you are aware, Governors play a key role in developing and improving their school; clarity about the role of Governing Bodies is crucial to an effective partnership between Governors and the Head Teacher and staff. The Bishop of Southwark acknowledges this important role played by Governors of Church of England schools in the Diocese of Southwark. He encourages Governors to work towards this certificate which aims to clarify the role of the Governing Body in a Church of England school. The Bishop’s Certificate course is designed for the whole Governing Body.
Below is a list of the modules covered:
- Module 1: The nature and purpose of church
- Module 2: Admission policies
- Module 3: The curriculum
- Module 4: Teaching and Learning
- Module 5: Self Evaluation and Inspection
- Module 6: Effective governance
- Module 7: School buildings
- Module 8: Religious Education and Collective Worship
- Module 9 & 10: Staffing
I am very pleased to let you know that our Governing Body has been awarded the Bishop’s Certificate which is a huge achievement. We will be presented the certificate at Southwark Cathedral next week. Please join with me in congratulating our Governors, who are volunteers, for their achievement, alongside their commitment and support of our School.